Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How Taco Bell is changing my life

Well, almost changing my life. So here's how this began. Yesterday I was running to and from Forum Talbots over to Summit Talbots to do training....in the hurry I had to swing through Taco Bell to get lunch. I say "had to" because I was starving and unfortunately it sounded good. As I was eating it in the office it tasted so-so, but smelt awful yucky. Then later, I felt even yuck-ier.
That night at dinner I still felt icky in my belly. I had some apples that night for dinner time snack and that was about it.
Then today I'm enjoying a nice day off, slept in til 730, had an  hour long massage (great job Liz at Beyond Massage, seriously my favorite massage of my life was today...you should go see her too) and came  home to enjoy the patio and reading a magazine in the gorgeous sunshine that is today. I'm reading SELF magazine that has so many great ideas and ways to care for our bodies and our lives. I came across probably the best smoothie recipe ever!
Peanut Butter-Banana Smoothie
In a blender, process 1 sliced banana, 1/4 cup plain non fat yogurt, 1/2 cup 1 percent milk, 1/4 cup quick cooking oats, 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1tsp maple syrup and a pinch of nutmeg (I used cinnamon); blend until smooth.

Seriously, you can run in the kitchen and whip it up. I will wait for you....I promise, you probably have everything in the pantry and fridge that you need. Go ahead. Its meant for breakfast but I think its the yummiest 386 calories smoothie so its good for every meal.

Are you back? yummy, huh?

So while I was enjoying my smoothie and my little kitty Emaline in awe of the blender's sound and wonder.....I began to wonder too.
Why do so many good things for my body like Zumba class, running at the gym, crunches, massages, and not eat better for my body? Why settle for Taco Bell?
My response.....its so much easier. I despise going to the grocery and am so thrilled when hubby goes one day while I'm working. (hint hint :)) And also I run around so much that sometimes a grab and go meal is just the only thing I can get.
So with that said.
Taco Bell thank you for changing my life.
Starting today I'm truly going to put forth effort to better the things I put into my body. I'm going to keep my fridge stocked with lemon water and enjoy its refreshing all summer long. I'm going to surf smoothie recipes and actually be a breakfast eater and jump start my day. I'm going to see how long I can strike from any quick processed meals. I'm going to continue the delight of the crock pot and the way it works for my crazy work schedule.
What healthy tips can you share? Add a comment of a recipe link. What promises are you making to your body and your food consumption?
Let's get in this together.......we're both enjoying that smoothie right now, right? What else is oh so yummy and not served from a drive thru?



2 comments:

  1. pickle rolls are my favorite snack-on-the go. They really are not unhealthy and if you make them right,very low on carbs. Use regular cream cheese (lower in carbs than the lowfat kind and tastes better too) spread it on a dill pickle then wrap a thin layer of lowfat ham or turkey around it.Then slice in little pinwheel slices. If you are craving a little bread, or serving as an appetizer for company, you can also add a slice of a soft tortilla shell before slicing. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Budget Bytes! (www.budgetbytes.blogspot.com) That's my go-to blog when I'm looking for recipes. Makes a ton of food, is healthy, and she has several recipes that you can freeze and have as a grab-n-go meal when you're too busy or tired to cook. :-)

    ReplyDelete