Monday, January 9, 2012

clash of Grief and Faith.....I don't belong here

Just last week on New Year's Day, Nathaniel and I were both talking about how death had surely played such a part in the year 2011. We knew several people who were tragically killed in accidents, health issues, etc. And as we grow older its surely something none of us can escape. We all have an expiration date. It just isn't as clearly printed for all to see such as the expiration date on the milk jug.
Through the year we had several chats about our mortality and how knowing where we are going is supposed to make death less scary. But somedays its still totally scary. My granny who is 87 told me she's not afraid of death at all. And that is so comforting to me. She inspires me to grow in my faith. She is so confident in her creator who made her, her Savior who died for her, and her salvation that carries her through each day. She inspires me to build on my faith even though I've never been to heaven, "I can only imagine."
And so that was last week's conversation inspired by the tragic death of a friend's 17 year old brother on a dirtbike accident. A video posted on Facebook showed footage from the last few hours of Dylan First and the photo montage played Switchfoot's "Beautiful Let Down" in the background. The words of the song, the legacy of a short life, and the inspiration of 8 young people who came to know Christ at the same retreat where Dylan was taken, they brought a smile as tears poured down.
And then it seems God continues this ever present theme of Grief and Faith in my world.
I've been reading Same kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. (thanks Jackie for the recommendation ;)) The book is about an art dealer and a homeless man and the unlikely lovely woman that brings them together. I can't tell you too much about it, because you really ought to just read it for yourself :) seriously. Its so Powerful. But in the book they quote C.S. Lewis and his theological thought on Grief and Faith,
"The tortures occur," he wrote. "If they are unnecessary, then there is no God, or a bad one." If there is a good God, then these tortures are necessary for no even moderately good Being could possibly inflict of permit them if they weren't."
I love that. You know why? Because it shows me there is a God and He is Good even when grief occurs. Because good always come after. Whether we see it immediately, whether we like it or what have preferred otherwise. He always brings good from it. Romans 8:28 says, "God works together for good all things for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes."
You might have heard about the accident Sunday morning on Whipps Mill and Hurstbourne. or read about it on the news.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120108/NEWS01/301080050/wreck-fatal-police?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home
Headed out the door to church Sunday we got a call from my mother in law. Nathaniel came to grab me and said, "Let's Go." We headed to straight to Hilary's house. You see the "witness" in the above mentioned new article was my mother in law. On her way to church she came upon this wreck that had just happened. The car was pinned in between rows of trees and the bystanders and neighbors couldn't get the front doors of the suv opened to get the brother and sister who were inside, out of the car. So Hilary, being a nurse, reacted to the two injured and was holding the head of the woman who passed away and felt her pulse slowly but surely give way. We sat and talked with her at her house afterwards as she cried. She had just seen last breaths taken and a young 33 year old woman pass on to eternity.
So I hear you God and I hear your message, "I don't belong here." Switchfoot sang it, Paul and apostle wrote about it, and Jesus lived his life preaching it and taking the message all the way to the cross.
Here I am today, looking at life through the young eyes of 28 years old, chasing after understanding how a God of the universe loves me and gave the blood of his Son Jesus christ for me, and living a life that sings "I don't belong here."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktNjkNhRUxg&list=UU_sEgKerhrtewwohjg30SMw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

No comments:

Post a Comment